Checklist of filing requirements
Estimated time to complete this document
This document is right for your organisation if:
Your organisation is a:
- Company limited by guarantee formed in England and Wales and registered with Companies House, whether or not it is also registered with the Charity Commission
- Private company limited by shares formed in England and Wales and registered with Companies House, such as a trading company in which your charity owns all the shares
- Community interest company formed in England and Wales and registered with Companies House, whether it is a community interest company limited by shares or by guarantee
- Charitable incorporated organisation formed and registered with the Charity Commission
- You would like details of the legal requirements surrounding the filing of documents and information with the following regulators (to the extent that they are relevant to your organisation):
o Companies House
o The Charity Commission
o The Community Interest Companies Regulator
o The Information Commissioner
This document is not right for your organisation if:
Your organisation is:
- A charitable trust
- A charitable unincorporated association
- A community benefit society
- A co-operative society
- A public limited company
Please Note: This document does not give details of the documents that may need to be filed with other regulators, such as:
o The Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator
o The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland
Or any other regulators which operate in the fields in which your organisation is working
If your organisation is a charitable company limited by guarantee you may also find the Get Legal guide to running a charitable company limited by guarantee useful.
Should you wish to have advice on your organisations’s particular circumstances and the terms of its articles of association, please contact us on email@example.com or 020 7551 7777 and a member of our legal team will be able to let you have a quotation for providing bespoke advice.
What do I need before I start?
You won’t need any information beyond the name of your organisation to complete this form.
Q: What is the process?
A:Once you have logged in and paid for the form you will be asked a question. The document will then be emailed to you.
Q: What if I don’t have time to complete the form?
A: If you don’t have all the information you need or if you get interrupted you can save the information you have inputted and return to the document later.
Q: What if I want more information about running a company?
A: You may find the BWB Get Legal board role specification or the Guide to running a charitable company limited by guarantee useful. If you would like more specific advice on governance or any other legal issue, please contact BWB at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our legal team will be able to give an estimate for providing bespoke advice. We also have a governance consultancy arm called Onboard.