Consent to short notice
Estimated time to complete this document
This document is right for your organisation if:
- It is a company or community interest company ("CIC") registered in England and Wales; and
- You want the members of the company to agree that a general meeting or annual general meeting can be held even though the usual 14 days notice of the meeting (or any longer period required by the company’s articles of association) has not been given to the members.
This document is not right for your organisation if:
- It is not a company or CIC registered in England and Wales;
- It is a public company or a traded company under the Companies Act (broadly a company whose shares are traded on a stock exchange in the EEA); or
- A resolution will be passed at the meeting to remove a director or an auditor.
Please Note: The notice requirements for general meetings are very strict. Note in particular that you need to allow time for delivery of the notice to the members, and take account of any rules on deemed delivery. The BWB Get Legal checklist for general meetings gives more information about the notice requirements for general meetings. If you would like specific advice on your particular circumstances, please contact us at email@example.com or 020 7551 7777 and one of our legal team will be able to give you a quote for providing bespoke advice.
We recommend that for important information regarding the running of a charitable company you refer to the BWB Get Legal guide to running a charitable company limited by guarantee.
What do I need before I start?
You should have a copy of your company’s articles of association to hand. You will also need to know the following information. There will be information provided throughout the questionnaire to help you answer the questions:
• Your company’s full name;
• Your company’s company number;
• You will need to know whether the meeting is a general meeting or an annual general meeting;
• You will need to know whether your company is limited by shares or by guarantee; and
• You will need to know how many members must consent to the short notice being given in order for it to be effective. This information should be in your company’s Articles of Association and the notes in the questionnaire will help you calculate this.
Remember: If you don’t have everything you need you can make a start, save the information and return to complete the form another time.
Q: What is the process?
A: Once you have logged in and paid for the form you will be asked a series of questions. These questions help us to create exactly the right document for you. There is lots of information to help you. Once you have finished the document it will be emailed to you with more instructions about what to do next.
Q: What if I don’t have time to complete the form?
A: If you don’t have all the information you need or if you get interrupted you can save the information you have inputted and return to the document later.
Q: What if I want more information about running a company?
A: You may find some of the other resources on BWB Get Legal helpful, we have a checklist for general meetings and a guide to running a charitable company limited by guarantee. If you would like more specific advice on any legal issue, please contact BWB at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7551 7777 and a member of our legal team will be able to give an estimate for providing bespoke advice.